As part of the Cannabinoid Hemp Program, businesses selling cannabinoid hemp products (both online and in person) are required to obtain a Cannabinoid Hemp Retail License from the Office.

Cannabinoid hemp products include many cannabidiol or "CBD” products available for purchase today, including tinctures, oils, topicals, pills, capsules and food or beverages that are intended for human consumption or application, for their cannabinoid content.

Distributors of cannabinoid hemp products must obtain a Cannabinoid Hemp Distributor Permit before selling or distributing cannabinoid hemp products manufactured outside of New York State to licensed Cannabinoid Hemp Retailers. This ensures that cannabinoid hemp products coming in from out-of-state meet all the requirements of the Cannabinoid Hemp Program.



The Office of Cannabis Management is now accepting applications for Cannabinoid Hemp Retail Licenses, Temporary Retail Permits & Distributor Permits.

Apply Now


*Note this is not a license to sell marijuana. The Cannabinoid Hemp Program only regulates products derived from hemp. If you are interested in the future Adult-Use Cannabis Program, please visit the Adult-Use page here.


Cannabinoid Hemp Retail and Distributor Application Requirements

Before applying, please review the Cannabinoid Hemp Retail & Distributor application requirements below.

  • A summary and description of the type of cannabinoid hemp product(s) you intend to sell (e.g. tincture, food, vape, topicals);
  • Source(s) of the cannabinoid hemp products from whom you intend to purchase, which includes the name and contact information of any manufacturer or distributor.
  • Proof from the Department of Taxation and Finance that you are registered to collect sales tax in New York State (applicants will upload a copy of their Certificate of Authority for each applicable retail location);
  • An attestation that you will comply with the rules and regulations of theNew York State Cannabinoid Hemp Program;
  • Submission of a $300 Cannabinoid Hemp Retail License fee for each retail location selling cannabinoid hemp products; or $25 per month (up to 3 months) for a Temporary Retailer Permit; or for a Distributor Permit, submission of a $300 Distributor Permit fee. Cannabinoid Hemp Retail licenses and Distributor Permits are valid for one year from the date of issuance.
  • Cannabinoid Hemp Retail Licensees
  • Cannabinoid Hemp Distributor Permit Holders
How much does a Cannabinoid Hemp Retail License Cost?

The Cannabinoid Hemp Retail License costs $300 per retail location and is valid for a year from the date of issuance.


How much does a Cannabinoid Hemp Distributor Permit Cost?

The Cannabinoid Hemp Distributor Permit costs $300 per distributing location and is valid for a year from the date of issuance.


Do I need a license for each retail location?

Yes, each location offering cannabinoid hemp products for sale is required to obtain a license.


How long is the Cannabinoid Hemp Retail License valid for?

Cannabinoid Hemp Retail licenses are valid for one year from the date of issuance of the license.


How long is the Cannabinoid Hemp Distributor Permit valid for?

Cannabinoid Hemp Distributor Permits are valid for one year from the date of issuance of the license.


If I have a Cannabinoid Hemp Retail License, do I also need a Distributor Permit?

It depends. If you sell cannabinoid hemp products to consumers in New York State and sell cannabinoid hemp products manufactured out-of-state to cannabinoid hemp retailers in New York State, you will need both a Cannabinoid Hemp Retail License and Distributor Permit.


What is the Cannabinoid Hemp Temporary Retail Permit?

The Cannabinoid Hemp Temporary Retail Permit is now available for persons interested in offering temporary sale of cannabinoid hemp products in New York State. Retailers must apply for and obtain a temporary retail permit prior to selling cannabinoid hemp products to consumers. Cannabinoid hemp products include any product sold for its cannabinoid content including CBD products. The following forms are permitted for retail sale: tinctures, oils, topicals, pills, capsules, supplements, and food or beverages containing cannabinoids that are intended for human consumption or application. THC concentrations less than or equivalent to 0.3 percent are permitted in products sold under the New York State Cannabinoid Hemp Program.

The temporary retail permit available through the New York State Cannabinoid Hemp Program is designed for retailers who do not maintain a static storefront and is not tied to the business’s location. The retail permit can be obtained for retail sale online, farmer’s market, vendor show retailers, and other temporary retail locations. The Cannabinoid Hemp Temporary Retail Permit is valid for up to three months and has a permit fee of $25 per month. More information about the Cannabinoid Hemp Temporary Retail Permit application is available here.

Following the passage of the U.S. Farm Bill in 2018, New York State retail markets experienced an influx of products derived from or including hemp. Many of the products on store shelves were sourced from unknown producers who may not have adhered to consumer protection standards such as product testing or labeling. The program in New York establishes a robust regulatory framework for cannabinoid hemp products that are manufactured or sold in the state, and standards for manufacturing, laboratory testing, and packaging and labeling to provide industry clarity and to protect health and safety of New Yorkers


Trouble creating a New York Business Express (NYBE) Account?

Call the NYBE Contact Center at (518)-485-5000, Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm for assistance. When you call the help desk you will hear a list of options, you will want to "Press 4" for the Cannabinoid Hemp Program and then "Press 1" for assistance with NYBE profile login.

Cannabinoid hemp applications are available on the New York State Business Express (NYBE) website. Submitting an application through (NYBE) creates a profile for your business or organization. You will be able to reuse the information contained in your business profile to submit future applications when using NYBE. Once you have created a business profile for your business or organization, it will be associated to your NY.GOV login and only you will be able to submit applications for your business or organization. Others using NYBE who try to start an application with your business identifiers, such as the Legal Name or federal EIN, will be prevented from completing the application.

If you are trying to complete an application for your business or organization and are prevented from completing the application because a business profile already exists, consult with those within your business or organization to check if they have started a profile using NYBE. If you do not have access to the NY.GOV account with your business profile or do not know who within your organization created the business profile, you can request to have your business profile linked to a different NY.GOV account. The NYBE Contact Center at (518)-485-5000 can also assist with these login issues.


Join Our Mailing List

Add your name to our mailing list to receive automatic updates on the progress of New York’s Cannabinoid Hemp Program. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Sign Up